With over 2 billion monthly active users worldwide, Facebook continues to be a dominating platform for businesses to advertise products and services. The first step to designing a compelling ad that effortlessly displays offerings is using the correct Facebook ad image size.
Memorizing the optimal specs for Facebook in addition to other social platforms is challenging, so we’re sharing a comprehensive guide for you to reference while creating your next ad. At the end of this article, you’ll know the correct image size, aspect ratio, accepted file types, technical requirements and more for various Facebook ad formats.
Facebook Ad Image
Let’s start with the correct aspect ratio, size, and accepted file types for Facebook ad images. Following the recommendations below will ensure your advertisement is visible across different devices, resulting in improved conversions and impressions.
- Facebook ad image size: The recommended Facebook ad image size is 1080 x 1080 pixels.
- Facebook ad image aspect ratio: The recommended aspect ratio is 1.91:1 to 1:1. You can upload the highest resolution image that meets the ratio requirement. Ads using stock photos and offer ads only support the 1.91:1 ratio and the 4:5 aspect ratio is supported for ads without a link.
- Facebook ad width and height: The minimum width is 600 pixels and the minimum height is 600 pixels.
- Recommended file types: JPG or PNG are the recommended file types for Facebook ad images.
Facebook Panorama and 360 Photos
Facebook introduced panorama and 360 photos for advertisers to share immersive content. A simple click and drag on a computer or moving a mobile device allows viewers to pan the scene and explore the photo. Follow the guidelines below to give your friends and followers the best viewing experience.
- Facebook Panorama and 360 photo size: Photos should be less than 135,000,000 pixels in total size and under 30,000 pixels in any dimension.
- Facebook Panorama and 360 file size: The file size can be up to 45 MB for a JPEG or 60 MB for a PNG.
- Recommended file types: Facebook recommends using JPEG for 360 photos and keeping the file size under 20-30 MB.
Facebook Ad Text Character Limit
Eye-catching imagery is essential for designing successful advertisements, and writing compelling copy is equally important. Below are the recommended text character limits to improve readability on all devices.
- Primary text: Primary text can be up to 125 characters. Text longer than 125 characters is allowed but may be shortened.
- Headline: Headline can have 40 characters. If over 40 characters, the headline may be shortened.
- Description: Descriptions can have up to 30 characters. Descriptions over 30 characters may be shortened and will only appear if it’s likely to resonate with the viewer.
Facebook Carousel Ads
Facebook carousel ads combine the magic of image and video into one format for a dynamic viewing experience. Carousel ads can appear on the news feed, marketplace, video feed, right column, Facebook stories, Facebook search results, and Facebook instant articles.
With more space to share content, advertisers are empowered to showcase multiple products and tell thoughtful stories. Carousel ads can have up to ten photos or videos, with a link each in a single ad.
- Facebook Carousel ad size: The recommended size is 1080 x 1080 pixels.
- Facebook Carousel ad ratio: The recommended ratio for Facebook carousel ads is 1:1.
- Accepted file types: The accepted file type for Facebook carousel ads are PNG and JPG.
- Maximum image file size: The maximum file size for a photo is 30 MB.
Facebook Instant Experience Ads
True to its name, Facebook instant experience ads are mobile-optimized ads that load 15 times faster than a standard mobile app. Swiping, tapping, and tilting these ads provides viewers with a detailed view of the product before making a purchase.
- Facebook Instant Experience ad size: Facebook instant experience ad size is 1080 x 1920. Images using the tilt-to-pan feature can be wider.
- Accepted file types: JPG and PNG are accepted formats and videos should emulate GIFs
- Sizing: Images can be 'fit-to-width,' to retain their full width with variable height or images can be 'fit-to-height.'
Facebook Story Ads
Like Instagram Stories, Facebook Story Ads are full-screen, short-form videos for advertisers to share a snippet of their product or service. It's the perfect option for creating attention-grabbing content with minimal time.
- Facebook Story size: The recommended size is 1080 x 1920 pixels.
- Facebook Story aspect ratio: 9:16 to 1.91:1
- Accepted image file types: JPG and PNG
- Maximum file size: 30 MB
Facebook Right Column Ads
Facebook right column ads, a desktop-specific format, appear on the right side of Facebook pages for minimal interruption to the user experience. With an eye-catching design in the right column, viewers will notice your ad even while checking status updates.
- Facebook Right Column Ad dimensions: The optimal dimensions are 254 x 133 pixels.
- Facebook Right Column Resolution: The recommended resolution is 1080 x 1080 pixels for right column ads.
- Recommended Ratio: The optimal ratio for a Facebook right column ad is 1:1.
Facebook Marketplace Ads
Facebook Marketplace ads are perfect for targeting an audience actively searching for goods. Whether you're on desktop or mobile, following the size recommendations below will optimize your ad for more clicks.
- Facebook Marketplace image size: 1080 x 1080 pixels
- Facebook Marketplace ad ratio: 1:1
- Accepted file types: JPG or PNG
Facebook Collection Ads
A collection ad is another mobile-immersive format for viewers to browse products. This ad includes a cover video or image followed by three photos, and when tapped, a full landing page appears. Explore the size requirements below to begin creating your collection ad.
- Facebook Collection ad size: The recommended size is 1080 x 1080 pixels.
- Facebook Collection ad aspect ratio: The recommended aspect ratio is 1.91:1 to 1:1
- Accepted file types: JPG or PNG
Bookmark this article to keep this guide nearby for your next ad, and subscribe to the resources page for tips and creative tutorials for content creators. For the latest updates on Kapwing, follow us on YouTube, Instagram, and Twitter.
- How to Make a Facebook Cover Video
- Everything You Need to Know About Facebook Reels
- How to Make a Facebook Profile Picture Frame
- How to Create a Profile Video for Facebook