Do you want to give your Facebook profile a bit more of your personality? Switching your profile picture to a profile video is an easy way to make your profile stand out above the crowd.
In 2015, Facebook started allowing users to upload videos up to 7 seconds long instead of the standard profile picture. A short video animation can show an excited moment, highlight your personality, or feature a snapshot from your life. This article explains how to create your own Facebook profile video. I’ll also introduce some creative new profile video ideas for you to consider!
How to Make a Facebook Profile Video
It’s only possible to make profile videos on the mobile Facebook app at the moment. There’s really no way for you to create a profile video from your computer. But creating a profile video from your mobile app is simple and easy:
- Open your Facebook mobile app and find your profile tab. It should be the third one from the left on the bottom of your screen.
2. Tap the camera icon right next to your current profile picture, then “Select Profile Picture or Video.”
3. Browse through your camera roll or shoot a new video! If you’d like to use something from a website or social media account, Kapwing can help you download videos from Youtube, Instagram, and other places on Facebook.
4. Trim, crop, and edit your profile video! Facebook provides a great interface for these tools – you can trim to any segment of your video that is 7 seconds or shorter. Once you're done editing, click "Use" in the upper right corner to confirm your new profile video.
To post a video to the profile picture area on Facebook, you must use the Facebook app for Android or iOS. You cannot upload a profile video when you're on the Facebook website. From the web, profile owners aren't able to select video files from the desktop file picker.
There aren't many other technical requirements for Facebook profile videos. Users should be able to upload just about any video that's saved in their camera roll to the profile area.
- Size: Facebook profile photos appear as photos on your profile, so you'll need to crop your video to 1:1 to fit the space. However, there doesn't seem to be any size requirement for the videos.
- File Format: Facebook seems to support any video file format that you can view on your phone, including .MP4 and .MOV. However, you cannot upload a GIF as your profile photos; Facebook shows GIF profiles as an image rather than an animated picture.
After you upload your profile video, click "Edit" to adjust the look and timing of your video. From the Facebook app, you an adjust:
- Timing: Facebook profile videos must be less than 7 seconds long. The app automatically selects the first 7 seconds, but you can adjust the section that you want to feature on your profile video. Alternatively, you can trim down the clip ahead of time to meet the 7 second limit.
- Sound: When you upload your video, Facebook allows you to turn the sound off and mute the video profile picture.
- Cover Thumbnail: When you up upload your profile video, you can change the "Cover" to any frame in your video. Use the slider in the "Cover" tab of the Facebook app to adjust the video thumbnail.
- Crop: Facebook's built in tool allows creators to adjust the area of their video that is in frame. You can move the video up and down within the circular preview.
Make a Unique Facebook Profile Video Design
If you want to make any other edits to your Facebook profile video, you’ll need to find another tool. I’m going to go through some fun and interesting ideas for you to use to spice up your profile videos even more. To add custom frames, filters, captions, or speed changes, you can use the video editing tools in Kapwing.
The frames you can find on Facebook are great, but with Kapwing's Studio you can design and apply any frame you want! Open the Kapwing Studio and upload the base video that you want to use for your profile video. Then, use the simple design interface to add shapes, colors, text, layers, images, and overlays on your video.
Circular Frame: Most Facebook frames involve a circle (or several circles) around the outside of the picture. In the Studio, deselect all layers and click “Shape” from the bottom toolbar. Select the circle/oval, then “Fill Color.” Remove the fill color by selecting the last option in the color array, which looks like a white circle with a red X through it. Now you can adjust the size, position, color, and more!
Using animated text or multiple scenes, you can make an animated profile video and express a message in your profile. Here’s an example:
Text: Want to spread your cause, give a life update, or send a message to your friends through your profile video or picture? Position text on top of your profile photo or video to get the message across. Check out the example below where I'm advertising Pride.
To fit more captions in your profile picture or video, duplicate your clip by clicking the “Copy” button on the left side of the window (it looks like two little rectangles stacked on top of each other). You can add text to each scene individually, so your profile can say everything you want it to say! To add text, just click “Text” from the bottom toolbar and then “Edit text.” You can edit your text color, outline color, font, format, and more!
Once you’ve finished editing your profile video in the Studio, just click “Publish” in the upper right-hand corner of the window. Kapwing will process your video. You’ll then be able to download, copy, or continue to edit your video.
Adding and Creating Filters
Kapwing is also a great tool for you if you want to enhance the way your video looks. Facebook’s own profile video editor doesn’t allow you to apply filters to your video, and a lot of the best filter programs don’t work nearly as well with videos as they do with photos.
With Kapwing's free Filters tool, you can choose from a ton of preset filters, or edit your video’s saturation, opacity, brightness, contrast, and blur. All these tools let you adjust the look of your video until it looks exactly the way you want it.
To apply one of Kapwing’s filters, click on “Products” from the Kapwing homepage. From here, scroll down until you find “Filter Video.” Now, just upload your video by pasting a link to it or selecting it in your file browser. In the Filter tool, you can choose from 18 different looks for your video!
If none of these filters look like what you want, just click “Adjust” from the top of the Filter Video tool. Here, you can change your video’s saturation, brightness, contrast, fade, and vignette. And if you need to make any other changes to your Facebook profile video, head over to the Kapwing Studio where you can trim, crop, animate, slow down, and edit your video with any of Kapwing’s Studio tools.
Once you’ve finished creating your video’s filter, simply click “Create,” and Kapwing will work its magic! After your profile video has been processed, you can download, copy, or continue to edit it. If you’d like to revisit your project later, sign in to save the Kapwing Project to your Workspace.
Profile videos allow you to inject some personality into your Facebook profile in dynamic and creative ways. But to unlock the full creative potential of the profile video, you need to use a platform like Kapwing, where you can create your own frames, animations, captions, and filters. Visit the Studio to experiment with some of these tools, and give your profile a boost!
To get an extra like and follower, remember to tag us @KapwingApp whenever you share your edited content on social media. We love to see what our creators are passionate about. And be sure to check back in on the Kapwing Resources page – we’re constantly publishing new and exciting articles to help you with all your content creation needs.