To edit a single, short MP4 file, you don’t need to install, buy, and learn to use a powerful film editing program like Adobe Premiere. Instead, you can upload your MP4 file to free websites and make edits to the video clip in your web browser. In this article, I’ll describe Kapwing, an online editor for casual creators looking to edit an MP4, GIF, or PNG quickly.
With Kapwing, you upload your MP4, make edits in the browser, and download the output video. There’s no registration required, and it works on phones, tablets, Chromebooks, and computers. Kapwing is an excellent resource for making and sharing GIF, PNG, and MP4 files, especially for casual creators and beginners.
After filming a video clip on your phone or downloading footage from YouTube, you may want to make small edits to your MP4 before sharing it with friends or publishing it on social media. The below example shows someone editing a soccer highlight for their Instagram Story.
Using the drag-and-drop UI in Kapwing’s Studio, you can do a lot to change the appearance of the clip. Here’s an example of some of some ways you can quickly edit your MP4:
- Crop: Cut out a certain area of the video.
- Resize: Change the clip’s aspect ratio by cropping or adding padding
- Add a video watermark, sticker, or overlay and arrange videos/images together in a collage
- Create an MP4 collage or design, and reuse the template again and again
- Add a caption: Put a title or caption above the video or embed the text directly into the video. Kapwing has a library of text animations you can choose from.
- Change the background color behind a video or add a border
- Add subtitles directly to your MP4 to make it more engaging and accessible
Changes to a Timeline
If the visual layout looks good but you want to make changes to the timing and tempo of your MP4, creators can use Kapwing to adjust the MP4’s Timeline. Here’s some of the amazing tools in Kapwing’s kit.
- Trim MP4: Shorten the length of a video by changing the start and end time
- Reverse an MP4: Make your video play backwards, with or without sound
- Loop an MP4: Play your video clip multiple times in a row to make it longer.
- Change the Speed of an MP4: Make your video move faster or slower by increasing or decreasing the speed.
- Make layers appear and disappear: Using the “Timeline” button on Kapwing, you can adjust the visibility time of layers on the canvas, including text boxes and pictures
- Merge MP4s together: Bring multiple scenes into one video by adding scenes to the Studio.
Adjust Sound and Audio
Unlike GIFs, MP4 files can support audio tracks and sound. If you want to make adjustments to the sound on your video or add a new soundtrack, Kapwing can help you create a new MP4 file.
Here are a few ways you can edit sound and audio with Kapwing:
- Change soundtrack: You can add a new song, voiceover, sound effect, or audio file to your MP4 in a few clicks using Kapwing’s Add Music tool. You can actually add music to a GIF by converting it to an MP4!
- Mute: Remove the sound from your MP4 [Mute Video Tool].
- Convert an MP4 to an MP3: Make your video into an audio file or download music from YouTube, Instagram, or Facebook.
- Make an Audiogram: Use a podcast, song, or voice recording to make an Instagram video from the Studio.
Kapwing is a fast and simple tool for making changes to MP4 files. Unlike other video editing programs, it has one-off tools optimized for certain tasks like adding subtitles. Because it’s accessible and designed for beginners, it’s a great video editor for classrooms and for Instagram videos.
The website is free to use, but there will be a small Kapwing watermark on the output video. You can pay a small fee to remove it or subscribe to the Kapwing Pro plan for unlimited access to all of the tools.
Thanks for reading, and good luck with your MP4 edits!