There are plenty of reasons you might need to make a video smaller: you might have to fit a file size limit, fit into a document, or free up some memory space on your phone.
In this article, I’m going to show you how to use a free online tool called Kapwing to choose the exact size you want for your videos, or compress videos to a more efficient size in one click. To shrink or compress your videos, you’ll need to know just three steps:
- Upload Your Video to Kapwing
- Choose Your Output Dimensions & Quality
- Publish & Download!
Step 1: Upload Your Video to Kapwing
To upload your content, just go to Kapwing.com and click Start Editing. This will take you to the Kapwing Studio, where you can use all of Kapwing’s editing tools in one place. Once you’re in the Studio, either click Upload and search in your file browser, or paste the link (YouTube, Google Drive, TikTok, etc.) to the video you want to upload. If your video is easily accessible, you can just drag & drop it into the Studio window, and it will upload automatically.
Step 2: Choose Your Output Dimensions & Quality
Once all your content has been uploaded into the Kapwing Studio, it’s simple to choose your exact output dimensions. Just click Custom Size from the menu on the right-hand side of the Studio. In the custom resize window, you have a ton of options:
• To use a preset aspect ratio, click on one of the options under Popular Sizes.
• If you want to resize your video with the same aspect ratio, make sure the aspect ratio is locked (you'll see a purple button that says "unlock aspect ratio") and enter the exact width or height that you'd like. The other dimension will be calculated so the aspect ratio remains the same.
• If you'd like to fully customize your video's dimensions, unlock the aspect ratio and enter the width and height that you want. There are no lower limits, so you can make your videos as small as you need!
If you only want to reduce the output size of your video file, select the gear icon in the upper right corner and change your output quality to Standard, rather than High. This should reduce your video's file size by about 40%.
Step 3: Publish & Download
Once you've edited your video to perfection and selected the optimal dimensions, click Export Video in the upper right-hand corner. Kapwing will automatically work its magic and your video will be ready to download shortly.
When your video is finished processing, click Download from the right side of the screen to save your video as an MP4, directly to your device. If you're not signed into a Kapwing account, sign in or sign up using your Google or Facebook account – once you've signed into a Kapwing account, the watermark in the lower right corner will be removed from your final image.
I hope this article helps you adjust the size of your video files for whatever purposes you need. If you're interested in more tips and tutorials on digital media editing in 2021, take a look at our YouTube channel Kapwing App. And while you're here, read through some related articles on resizing video files for social media: