There are plenty of reasons you may have to make a video smaller: you might need to embed a video into an email or document, clear up memory space on your phone, or meet the upload limit to share a video on social media.
In this article, I’m going to show you how to use a free browser-based tool called Kapwing to resize and compress videos on any device to a more efficient size in a few clicks. To shrink, enlarge, or compress your videos without losing quality, you’ll need to know three steps:
- Upload Your Video to Kapwing
- Choose Your Output Dimensions & Quality
- Publish & Download!
Step 1: Upload Your Video to Kapwing
To upload your content, just go to Kapwing.com and click Start Editing. You use Kapwing to resize videos on an iPhone, Android, PC or tablet. This will take you to the Kapwing Studio, where you can use all of Kapwing’s editing tools in one place.
Once you’re in the Studio, either click Upload to search for your file, or paste the link (YouTube, TikTok, etc.) to the video you want to upload. You can also click Google Drive to sign in an upload a video directly from your account. If your video is easily accessible from your computer, you can just drag & drop it into the Studio window, and it will upload automatically.
Step 2: Choose Your Output Dimensions & Quality
Once all your content has been uploaded into the Kapwing Studio, it’s simple to choose your exact output dimensions. Click Custom Size from the menu located on the right-hand side of the Studio. In the custom resize window, you have a ton of options:
• To use a preset aspect ratio, click on one of the options under Popular Sizes. This will quickly resize your video for Instagram, YouTube, and Facebook.
• If you want to resize your video with the same aspect ratio, make sure the aspect ratio is locked (you'll see a button that says "unlock aspect ratio") and enter the exact width or height that you'd like. The other dimension will be calculated so the aspect ratio remains the same.
• If you'd like to fully customize your video's dimensions, unlock the aspect ratio and enter the width and height that you want. There are no lower limits, so you can make your videos as small as you need!
If you only want to reduce the output size of your video file, select the gear icon in the upper right corner and change your output quality to Standard, rather than High. This should reduce your video's file size by about 40%.
Step 3: Publish & Download
Once you've edited your video to perfection and selected the optimal dimensions, click Export Video in the upper right-hand corner. Kapwing will automatically work its magic and your video will be ready to download shortly.
When your video is finished processing, click Download from the right side of the screen to save your video as an MP4, directly to your device. If you're not signed into a Kapwing account, sign in or sign up using your Google or Facebook account – once you've signed into a Kapwing account, the watermark in the lower right corner will be removed from your final image.
I hope this article helps you adjust the size of your video files for whatever purposes you need. If you're interested in more tips and tutorials on digital media editing in 2021, take a look at our YouTube channel Kapwing App. And while you're here, read through some related articles on resizing video files for social media: