There are many reasons why you may want to change your YouTube channel name. Maybe you’re considering a rebrand, have an awesome name idea, or you don’t want to use your full name as your channel name. In this tutorial, I’ll walk you through the differences between a personal and brand account and how to change your YouTube channel name.
- Understanding Personal versus Brand Account
- Change Your YouTube Channel Name through a Google Account
- Change Your YouTube Channel Name through YouTube
- How to Move Your Personal Account to a Brand Account
Understanding Personal versus Brand Account
Most YouTube users will have a personal account that is linked to an individual email address through your Google Account. Since a personal account is connected to a Google Account, the name listed on the Google Account will automatically become your channel name. A brand account is an account specifically for your brand where multiple people such as administrators are allowed to manage the channel.
Change Your YouTube Channel Name through a Google Account
There are multiple ways to change your YouTube Channel name. If you would like to change your channel name by entering a new First and Last Name follow these steps:
- Sign in to your YouTube account and click on your profile picture. Select Manage your Google Account and you will be taken to your Google Account.
- Choose the Personal Info tab and click on your name. You can now change your First and Last Name. I’m going to change my name from “Pamela Anne” to “Pamela Anne G.”
Change Your YouTube Channel Name through YouTube
If you would like to change your channel name to a brand name without entering a First and Last Name, follow these steps:
- Log into your YouTube account and click on your profile photo, then select YouTube Studio.
- On the left-hand side scroll down to Customization and click on the Basic Info tab.
- Click on the pencil tool next to your name to change your channel name. Click Publish when you are done.
How to Move Your Personal Account to a Brand Account
Before you can move your personal account to a brand account, you need to create a new channel so you can move your content from one channel to another. NOTE: Before you go through the steps to move your account, make sure you back up your videos onto your device because some content may not transfer. Here are the steps:
Go to Settings, then select View advanced settings under Your Channel. Select Create a new channel and you will be prompted to create a new channel name.
Once your new channel name has been created, go back to your main account and click Settings. Make sure you are in the Advanced Settings tab on the left-hand side. Select Move channel to a brand account. You will be taken to a page that will allow you to move your channel to the new brand account. In this case, I’m moving “Pamela Anne G.” to “PamelaVlogDiaries”.
After selecting the account you want to move your channel to, a screen will pop up that will explain some changes and important information about your channel. This process can take about 10 minutes depending on the amount of content you have on your channel. Once your channel has been moved, your channel name may change to your default account name that is connected to your Google Account. If this happens, follow the previous steps to change your channel name.
If you’re interested in more step-by-step tutorials, visit our Resources page which can teach you how to create, edit, or download photos and videos. Don’t forget to follow us on Instagram or TikTok @KapwingApp and check out our video tutorials!