What is Kapwing?
Why Use Kapwing in your Classroom?
If you’re still wondering why Kapwing would be a good fit as a tool in your classroom, consider some of the reasons it can benefit you and your students:
- It works on any device, phone or computer, Chromebook/Windows/Mac. You and your students can use it at school and at home.
- It’s free!
- You don’t need to register or sign in to use it.
- You don’t need to install or update any software (no admin permission needed).
- It works well with Google Drive, Classroom, and YouTube.
- It’s extremely simple: We designed this software so that even a second grader can quickly intuit how to use our features.
- There are no ads or recommended videos that can distract children or show inappropriate content.
It’s collaborative! We are constantly looking for new ways to help people work together on Kapwing. One great feature (link sharing) allows you to share an editable video or image directly with anyone!
Here are some things to consider about safety when using Kapwing in the classroom:
- Kapwing is an online tool, meaning students must access the internet to use it. While the internet can be an amazing learning tool in the classroom, we also know there can be distracting and inappropriate material for students on some internet pages. We recommend limiting access to teacher approved sites.
- No advertisements or links to other sites. While on the Kapwing website, the only thing you and your students will see is the content you’re creating. There will never be distracting advertisements or links leading to other sites in our tools.
- We use image search. Kapwing's Studio has an embedded image search, allowing you to search for pictures and immediately add to your creation without leaving the editor. This feature searches the whole open web. Although we do have a "Safe Search" filter turned on (the same as Google's filter), students may be able to find unsavory results with enough searching. Either teach your students how to navigate images safely or steer them away from using Kapwing's image library.
- You need to have a Google Account to sign in on Kapwing. This means that individuals under the age of 13 cannot create a Kapwing account unless they have parental permission or a Google account with their school district. If students are using an account associated with their school district, teachers and administrators can access a student’s Kapwing account by using their authentication credentials.
- All creations are “public” without a paid Kapwing account. To facilitate collaboration and sharing, anyone who has the URL of a Kapwing project can see that project without needing to sign in or get access permission. It's similar to a Google Doc with "link sharing" enabled.
- We work with educators and parents to assure student account safety. Parents may also ask us to close their children's accounts or delete data, or can sign into their child's account to review and delete data themselves.
Right now Kapwing is free for anyone to make up to 5 minutes of watermark-free content, or up to 30 minutes of watermarked content, as long as they have an account. Our Pro Plan ($24 a month or $192 a year) adds infinite storage time, allows for project privacy, and enables larger file uploads and longer video projects.
We also recommend using Kapwing for Teams in the classroom. This is a self-service way for your school to purchase a number of Pro licenses that can be assigned to students as needed. Licenses can be purchased for the organization and will remain with the school until the subscription ends. You can assign a license to a student for a short time, or long-term; and if you need to remove the student or assign that license to someone else, you can do so at any time.
If you’re interested in upgrading your classroom or school district to Kapwing Pro or Kapwing for Teams, please contact us! We’ll help work to find a plan that fits your needs as well as the needs of your students.